Porque los bloggers alguna vez fuimos niños

It doesn’t seem like too long ago that Hipocratico, Moi, Candy, Rolando, and I were all sitting around drinking beers and sharing stories in Monterrey. But now, looking back at the picture, we all look a few years younger than nowadays. I’m sure that Monterrey has changed a lot since I was last there. I remember driving across the whole city in search of internet access … it’s hard for me to believe that the city center is now covered in free municipal wi-fi.

Anyway, those four Regio bloggers all recently participated in a meme for Día del Niño titled “because bloggers were once children” where they posted photos of themselves as youngsters. They’re pretty adorable pics: Rolando planting a kiss on his lil’ sister, Hipocratico with red sneakers and a basketball, Supermoi, and Chiquita Regia. Never one to wait to be tagged, now it’s my turn.

osito.jpg

The freckles were just working their way in at that point (a freckle for each kiss of an angel I’m told). I’m assuming my single-mom-at-the-time was responsible for both the bowl cut and the effeminate gesture. But it’s a trip to look back at the photo and recognize aspects of who I am today in the body and expression of a little 4-year-old.

This weekend Mari and I had dinner at a friend’s house. Two years ago they adopted a baby boy from Michoacán. He turned three over the weekend, but just a few minutes with him and you can already see what he’ll be like as a thirty-year-old. I was once again reminded of the age-old nature versus nurture question. Is there a difference between disposition and personality?

I look at my sister now – almost 18 years after we took her home from the hospital in Columbus, Ohio – and she’s grown up exactly as I thought she would. Is that always the case? Looking back at that four-year-old kid up there, how different could I possibly have become?

I won’t call anyone out, but if you take part in the meme, please leave a comment or trackback linking to your post.

20 Comments

1. So cute! I knew many boys in my childhood days with haircuts like that.

2. Blame your mom, riiiiiight. i bet the pose with your arms just so in that picture was all your idea ;)

I guess the ability to see a grownup in a kid grows with age. When I saw my sister at four, I had no idea of what she would grow up to be… maybe because I was also four at the time, and didn´t go beyond the wishful thinking and daydreams in which we would both become rock stars.

3. how cute is this! I guess I’ll ride the train. Here I am at two I believe..I’m told I was the same as my daughter..that says alot! lol

I don’t know hot to track back so here’s a link

4. Definitely a cutie patootie. Not much has changed :)

5. Que chamaco pecosito tan chulo!! Estas seguro que se trata de ti?! Jeje.

6. hijole! gracias a dios, that I wasn’t the only one with a bowl cut….all these years I thought I was alone. Jajaja.

7. Wow … my biggest life mistake was obviously in growing up. Not that I’ve really grown up at all, but still …

8. Tienes cara trasto ehhh!! gracias :)

9. You know, this kid doesn’t really look like you. I don’t know, I think it’s the hair or the few pecas. And yes, you are cute. I’ve done the meme too.

10. Yo tambien me lo robe!

11. Me too. :-)

12. fuimos niños de navidad un dia paopa mellego la avenida ventral vi muchos carritos tres la maña 25 de diciembre vi muchos regarlos mi hernao llego juganos en tren de nuestra casa

13. jueves 25 de dicembre 1962

dije ppa llego el niño dios mi hermo juamos en el tresr muchos regarlosa jugamos bolas y tres mi buela esta contenta vino el ñino dios fuimos caninado un dia fuimos en puntarenas

14. lunes 1 de marzo 1962

fuimos caminado en la antigio de universidad de costa Rica baarrio conzales alamas vi muchos niños juando la bla de bulvol quamime mucho en la casda de mi ti maragrita
    fuimos caminando en frente de la lina de tren paso prisa de tren pasageros y cargas lle mi casa de canario de juge el patrio canime n mi cuarto guganso lo solo no twenia amigio

15. lunes 24 de diciembre 1962
    mama le dijo a mi papa lo lleve el aveniida cental caminamos pasamos el museo nacional vimos en avenida cental muchas personas tirano cofeti lleno la calle cofeti muchos niños tirantop cofeti la entramos universal vimos niños vomprandpo regarlos sacamos fotto pap Ricarto y Roberto llegqmos en antiguio dde universidad de costa Rica yi vi la estrella de niño dios precunte a papa esta estrella adonde va Roberto es niño dios pasandp las casiota nuestra casa en trte la sala quire vino el niño dios rticardo corrio viö el tren guamos la ssala 24 de diciembnre

16. lunes 24 de diciembre 1962

Recuerdo cuaqndo iba con mi papa a la avenida cental en laa navidad , muchas personas tirabo confeti y los niños tira comfeti lleno la calle confeti tira la cara confeti yo lo tirwe cinfeti muchas oersona tiran coneti fimos 7 tientiens a las tienddiantes a escoger los jugetes y trenes que yo le pedia al niño dios varios niños piero el niño dios universad

17. domingo 27 de enero 1962
    papa mellevo la misa eresar
    fuimos antes de la misa fuimos en la casa de mi tia .
    ablamos en cosa vanois un paseo de la finca papa sefuue la barrrio conzalez lama .
    universidad de costa Rica vimos en la plaza verente de universidad

18. PAPA MEVELLO A UNIVERSIDAD DE COSTA RICA
    ME LLEVO EL AVENDA CENTRAL VIENDO DE FILES 11 DE ABRIL
    VI VARIAS PANTERAS Y DE FLES

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lotería Chicana » Vestida de color de rosa - [...] Oso framed this belated Día del Niño meme as an interesting exercise in seeing just how much we have …
  2. - Logtar’s Blog - » Because bloggers were once children - [...] Oso put up one of the best meme`s in a while last week. Make sure you visit him and …
  3. The Weblog @ Betizuka.com » I was a kid once! - [...] Because we all were kids once. I found this meme thingy at Logtar’s. Turns out there are a bunch …